We believe in the power of every person.
- Ph.D. in Poultry Diseases, The Ohio State University, 1986
- D.V.M., The Ohio State University, 1981
- B.S. in Animal Science, The Ohio State University, 1977
- Diplomate in Bacteriology and Mycology, Virology and Immunology; American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM), 1987
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- Served on several journal editorial boards, including Avian Diseases, Animal Health Research Reviews, Poultry Science.
- Served as a reviewer on USDA grant panels and served as an ad hoc grant and manuscript reviewer for many agencies, journals, and foundations.
- Serves as a member of several professional organizations, including the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), and the American Association of Avian Pathologists (AAAP). Served as a member of AVMA’s Council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents (2000-2005, Chair in 2004) and Council on Research (2007-2012). Served on the board of directors of AAAP, the board of governors of ACVM, and the governing council of CRWAD.
- Teaches courses as a professor and poultry veterinarian at UNL. Courses include veterinary ethics and biosecurity, poultry diagnostic work, and poultry research in enhancing biosecurity, understanding the innate immune response in birds, and prevention and control methods for respiratory and enteric poultry pathogens.
Produced 51 peer-reviewed scientific publications, 97 proceedings and abstracts, and 24 book chapters. Selected publications:
Reynolds, Donald L. and E. Barry Simpson. Evaluation of Ivermectin Antiviral Activity Against Avian Infectious Bronchitis Virus Using a Chicken Embryo Model. International Journal of Veterinary Science and Medicine. 10(1):19-24. 2022
Reynolds DL, Loy JD. Decrease in Hatchability of Pheasant Eggs Associated with Enterococcus faecalis. Avian Diseases. 64:517-521; 2020.
Glanville, T.D., H.K. Ahn, T.L. Richard, J.D. Harmon, D.L. Reynolds and S. Akinc. Effect of Envelope Material on Biosecurity During Emergency Bovine Mortality Composting. Bioresource Technology. 130:543-551. 2013.
Reynolds, Donald L. Veterinary Medical Research: Who Will Set The Standard? (Invited commentary) Journal of Veterinary Medical Education. 39(2):109-110. 2012.
Guo, B., J. Lin, D. L. Reynolds, Q. Zhang. 2010. Contribution of the Multidrug Efflux Transporter CmeABC to Antibiotic Resistance in Different Campylobacter Species. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 7: 77-83.
Baoqing Guo, Ying Wang, Feng Shi, Yi-Wen Barton, Paul Plummer, Donald L. Reynolds, Dan Nettleton, Tara Grinnage-Pulley, Jun Lin and Qijing Zhang. CmeR functions as a pleiotropic regulator and is required for optimal colonization of Campylobacter jejuni in vio. Journal of Bacteriology. Mar;190(6):1897-90. 2008.
Platt R, Reynolds DL, Phillips GJ. Development of a novel method of lytic phage delivery by use of a bacteriophage P22 site-specific recombination system. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003.Jun27;223(2):259-65.
Pedersen, Janice C., Dennis A. Senne, B. Panigrahy and Donald L. Reynolds. Detection of avian pneumovirus in tissue and swab specimens from turkeys. Avian Disease 45(3): 581-92. 2001.
Reynolds, Don, Sevinc Akinc and Akbar Ali. Passively administered antibodies alleviate stunting syndrome in turkey poults. Avian Diseases 44:439-442. 2000.
1880 N 42nd St
East Campus Loop and Fair Street
Lincoln, NE 68583-0905
- Poultry Diseases