All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. – Emerson
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience, University of Oregon, 1991
- B.A. St. John's College, 1980
Stults, A.M., Sollars, P.J., Heath, K.D., Sillman, S.J., Pickard, G.E., Smith, G.A.: Bovine herpesvirus 1 invasion of sensory neurons by retrograde axonal transport is dependent on the pUL37 region 2 effector. Journal of Virology 96(9):e0148621, 2022.
Pegg, C.E., Zaichick, S.V., Bomba-Warczak, E.K., Jovasevic, V., Kim, D., Kharkwal, H., Wilson, D.W., Walsh, D., Sollars, P.J., Pickard, G.E., Savas, J.N., Smith, G.A.: Herpesviruses assimilate kinesin to produce motorized viral particles. Nature 599:662-666, 2021.
Bernstein D.I., Cardin, R.D., Smith, G.A., Pickard, G.E., Sollars, P.J., Bravo, F.J., Dixon, D.A., Pasula, R.: The R2 non-neuroinvasive HSV-1 vaccine affords protection from genital HSV-2 infections in a guinea pig model. Nature Vaccines 5:104, 2020.
Pickard, G.E., Brodersen, B., Sollars, P.J., Smith, G.A.: The pseudorabies virus R2 non-neuroinvasive vaccine: a proof-of-concept study in pigs. Vaccine 38:4524-4528, 2020.
- Virus-host interactions governing alpha-herpesvirus genome delivery and neuroinvasion, National Institutes of Health, R01 AI148780, 2020-2025, $1,799,400 (PI)
- Non-neuroinvasive viruses and uses thereof. USA Patent and Trademark Office patent 10,647,964, issued May 12, 2020. Ekaterina E. Heldwein, Gary E. Pickard, Greg A. Smith, and Patricia J. Sollars
- Non-neuroinvasive viruses and uses thereof. USA Patent and Trademark Office patent 11,339,378, issued May 24, 2022. Ekaterina E. Heldwein, Gary E. Pickard, Greg A. Smith, and Patricia J. Sollars
1880 N 42nd St
East Campus Loop and Fair Street
Lincoln, NE 68583-0905
- General education
- Higher education in prison