We believe in the power of every person.
- Ph.D. in Integrative Biomedical Sciences, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2018
- D.V.M., Iowa State University, 2012
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists, 2016
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- Veterinary diagnostic pathologist: conduct animal necropsies, histopathology examinations, and interpret diagnostic laboratory testing and clinical pathology data to make disease diagnoses.
- Faculty supervisor: virology/serology section in NVDC.
- Research: contribute to research teams focusing on advancing our understanding of diseases of pigs and research teams working broadly in biomedical sciences.
- Teaching: development and delivery of curriculum for teaching pathology to veterinary professional students, with a focus on integrating case-based practice. Mentoring and education support for undergraduate, graduate, and veterinary professional students and veterinary anatomic pathology residents.
Vitosh-Sillman S., Loy J.D., Brodersen B.W., Kelling C.L., Doster A.R., Topliff C., Nelson C., Bai J., Schirtzinger E., Poulsen E., Meadors B., Anderson J., Hause B., Anderson G., Hesse R.A. 2016. Experimental infection of conventional nursing pigs and their dams with Porcine Deltacoronavirus. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 28 (5): 486-97. doi: 10.1177/1040638716654200.
Vitosh-Sillman S.J., Brodersen B.W., Harris S.P. Pathology in Practice (Inclusion body rhinitis in a pig). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. February 1, 2017; 250 (3), 293-295. doi: 10.2460/javma.250.3.293.
Vitosh-Sillman S.J., Loy J.D., Brodersen B., Kelling C., Eskridge K., and Schmidt A.M.. Effectiveness of composting as a biosecure disposal method for porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV)-infected pig carcasses. Porcine Health Management. 2017; 3: 22. doi: 10.1186/s40813-017-0068-z.
Stevens E.E., Miller D.N., Brittenham B.A., Vitosh-Sillman S.J., Brodersen B.W., Jin V.L., Loy J.D., and Schmidt A.M. Alkaline stabilization of manure slurry inactivates porcine epidemic diarrhea virus. Journal of Swine Health and Production. 2018; 26 (2): 95-100. https://www.aasv.org/shap/issues/v26n2/v26n2p95.pdf
Huber L., Giguere S., Berghaus L.J., Hanafi A., Vitosh-Sillman S., and Czerwinski S.L. Development of septic polysynovitis and uveitis in foals experimentally infected with Rhodococcus equi. PLOS ONE. 2018 Feb 7;13(2):e0192655. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0192655. eCollection 2018.
Sillman S.J., Lee S.T., Claborn J., Boruch J., and Harris S.P. 2019. Fall panicum (Panicum dichotomiflorum) toxicosis in three juvenile goats. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation Jan; 31(1): 90–93. doi: 10.1177/1040638718820083.
Sun, H., Sur, J.-H., Sillman, S., Steffen, D. J., Vu, H. 2019. Design and characterization of a consensus hemagglutinin vaccine immunogen against H3 influenza A viruses of swine. Veterinary Microbiology 239, 108451.
Chaudhari J., Liew C.S., Workman A.M., Riethoven J.M., Steffen D., Sillman S., Vu H.L.X. Host transcriptional response to persistent infection with a live-attenuated porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus strain. Viruses. 2020 Jul 28; 12(8) ):817. doi: 10.3390/v12080817. PMID: 32731586; PMCID: PMC7474429.
Chaudhari J., Liew C.S., Riethoven J.M., Sillman S., Vu H.L.X. Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome Virus Infection Upregulates Negative Immune Regulators and T-Cell Exhaustion Markers. J Virol. 2021 Oct 13; 95(21):e0105221. doi: 10.1128/JVI.01052-21. Epub 2021 Aug 11. PMID: 34379512; PMCID: PMC8513478.
Stults, A. M., Sollars, P. J., Heath, K. D., Sillman, S. J., Pickard, G. E., & Smith, G. A. (2022). Bovine Herpesvirus 1 Invasion of Sensory Neurons by Retrograde Axonal Transport Is Dependent on the pUL37 Region 2 Effector. Journal of Virology, 96(9), e0148621. https://doi.org/10.1128/jvi.01486-21.
4040 East Campus Loop North
Lincoln, NE 68583-0907
- Porcine enteric and respiratory disease pathology
- Pathology education and assessment
Professional Society Memberships
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- Nebraska Veterinary Medical Association